As summer slowly (but surely) approaches, many of us are getting ready to enjoy some family-friendly barbecues and lively firework shows to celebrate the season. While these traditions are just what we need for this summer, we also want to be mindful of how they might frighten and become a danger to our pets. Here are some useful tips to keep your pets safe during upcoming events.

NEVER Use Fireworks Around Pets

  • Lit fireworks can be extremely dangerous to pets. Sparks from the fireworks can cause severe burns and/or trauma to the face, paws, and skin. Never use fireworks around your pets, as many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic, and other heavy metals.

Leave Pets at Home

  • While most humans enjoy summer parties, most pets do not. Loud noises, crowded areas, and unfamiliar settings can frighten pets and cause them to become stressed and disoriented. For your pet’s safety, refrain from taking them to firework festivities. Leave them at home instead, away from direct noises, in their own environment where they will feel safe.

Keep ID’s Current

  • Loud noises from fireworks and other festivities may scare your pet and cause them to escape from your yard or home if they are not safely enclosed. Be sure that your pet is always wearing a collar with an ID tag that includes: your name, current phone number, and any other relevant contact information.

Visit HumanePA.org to learn more about our Healthy Pets Initiative, which provides microchip services to keep pets safe and happy in their homes.

Beware of Hazardous Products

Create Barbeque Boundaries

  • Barbeques are a lot of fun, full of delicious foods and drinks…for humans, however, some of these items can be deadly to your pets. Be sure your pets cannot get into any alcoholic beverages.
  • Keep in mind that many human foods are not meant for pets; pet treats are always better to give your pets than human food, as human foods can cause severe digestive issues for pets. Be sure to avoid avocado, raisins, grapes, onions, chocolate, and products with the sweetener xylitol.

No Glow Jewelry for Pets

  • While it might look cute to put glow jewelry or glow sticks on your pets, the plastic and chemicals inside the tube are hazardous to pets if ingested. If your pet chews and/or swallows the plastic attachments or chemicals, they can be at risk for excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation, as well as intestinal blockage from swallowing large pieces of the plastic.

Safely Store Matches and Lighter Fluid

  • Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which, if ingested, can be hazardous to pets. Lighter fluid, meanwhile, can be irritating to your pet’s skin, and, if swallowed, can cause gastrointestinal irritation, and other issues.
  • Be sure to store all matches and lighter fluid in a safe place where pets cannot access the items by jumping or climbing.

If your pet(s) ingest a poisonous substance like the ones listed above, contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline ((800) 213-6680) immediately. Do not induce vomiting or give anything orally to your pet unless specifically directed to do so by your veterinarian.

Share